Providing Assistance to Portage Township Residents In Need
Energy Assistance Program Application Checklist
Please use the checklist below to ensure all required documentation has been submitted. Not submitting all required documentation will result in a delay in processing your application.
(COPIES of documents are required. Our offices are NOT able to make copies for mail in applications).
You may submit your application via mail, fax (574-236-4891), or email to email@example.com.
You may also submit an application online at https://ihcda.rhsconnect.com/
- Complete the application listing all household members.
- Sign the application – applications cannot be processed without your signature!
- Social Security Cards for each household member. REAL ID or passport can be provided in lieu of Social Security cards.
- A photo ID for the person signing the application.
- Income documentation for the past 3 months prior to the date of application for each adult age 18 and over. (see list for income documentation)
- Anyone claiming zero come must complete a Income Verification Affidavit for the past 3 months
with explanation how expenses were met. (Must be completed for each adult household member, please make copies for additional adults in household). In section 3 entering 0 or NA, etc is not acceptable; you must provide an explanation how expenses were met.
- If 18 or older and in High School or College, documentation such as class schedule or current report card is required.
- If pregnant, documentation from your physician is required (to count unborn child as household member).
- Renters: A Lease or Landlord Affidavit is required for those who rent and who have one or both utilities included in their rent. Your Landlord must complete this form if you do not have a lease dated within the last 24 months.
- Copies of your most recent electric utility bill.
- Copies of your most recent heating bill.
For COVID qualifying applicants, rent and utility assistance previously available through the St. Joseph County Emergency Rental Assistance Program is now available directly through the State of Indiana. Click on the following link to apply: https://hoosierhousinghelp.com/advocates/